MaGIC Academy : Python 101
This workshop is designed to introduce participants to Python programming language using data wrangling as a running example. Participants will learn a fair amount of Python and several useful Python libraries. The workshop is split into five modules and each module focuses on particular aspects of Python and its applications. There will also be hands-on projects to help solidify the concepts taught in each module.
After completing the workshop, participants will:
- Be comfortable using Python for everyday tasks
- Have enough understanding of Python to further master the language on their own
- Understand what is possible using Python and libraries thereof
- Be able to program simple database applications using Python
- Know how to fetch data from a variety of sources and turn it into a useful form
- Serves as a prerequisite to learning more advanced Python workshops (eg web development in Django)
Pre - Requisite & Planning
- Some programming background is assumed (you will be expected to already understand if/else conditions, for/while loops and functions from a different programming language)
- To ensure participants benefit the most from this workshop, please ensure you complete at least the following 4 short online tutorials attending. (Python Syntax, Strings and Console Output, Conditionals and Control Flow and Functions) at http://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/python . It should not take more than 2 hours of your time.
- Participants will need to bring their own laptop (preferably runnning Ubuntu, but it's not necessary as we'll be using c9.io as a cloud development platform)
- Enthusiasm and curiosity
Useful References (and recommended readings)
- Microsoft Virtual Academy - Introduction to Programming with Python
- Skillful.io - Learn, build, level up!
- 5 Compelling Reasons to Learn Python as Your First Programming Language
- A guided tour through curated, free Python tutorials on the web
- Best Python Resources
- 10 Myths of Enterprise Python
- Python is the Most Popular Introductory Teaching Language at Top US Universities
About the Speaker
Athar Hameed is a seasoned software developer and trainer based in Kuala Lumpur. Athar has been programming in Python since 2005 and had the good fortune of working with Alex Martelli (tech lead at Google and author of Python in a Nutshell). He is currently a software architect at Sam Media Sdn. Bhd. and offers software development trainings under his brand Skillful.io (Skillful.io - Learn, build, level up! ). You can reach Athar at email@example.com or connect with him on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/atharh.