Language / 言語
This seminar will be held in English only. / 今回のセミナーは英語での進行となります。
Michio Honda (NEC Europe)
- vagrant setup is available: if you did
vagrant upwith the repository below, you will be happy. / 講演時に役立つ VM イメージを用意してもらいまいた。
Costs of persisting data over networks have been dominated by slow access latency to disks or SSDs, and access methods to them, causing end-to-end latency on the order of hundreds or thousands of microseconds. As a result, networking whose RTTs over TCP and HTTP take tens of microseconds, was a relatively lightweight component of the end-to-end system. However, emerging non-volatile main memory (NVMM) will change this phenomenon, because durably writing data become two-three orders of magnitude faster because of physical speed and new access methods. This bottlenecks the network stack, necessitating re-designing it.
We propose PASTE, a new networking API to build networked storage systems on top of it. It achieves high performance by run-to-completion and DMA performed to named packet buffers on NVMM, while preserving protection, efficiency and ability to leverage a rich set of network protocols provided by the socket API today. We benchmark PASTE using Write-Ahead Logging and B+tree, as well as porting it to key value stores and software switch, and show PASTE significantly outperforms well-tuned Linux and the state-of-the art network stack. The work is to appear in NSDI'18 (http://web.sfc.wide.ad.jp/~micchie/papers/paste-nsdi18.pdf).
Date and Time
- 2018-5-2 (Wed) 18:30 (The registration desk opens at 18:15)
- Internet Initiative Japan Inc. 13F Opera2 room
- Iidabashi Grand-Bloom 2-10-2 Fujimi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102－0071
Read before comming
- Registration is required to enter the office floor of the building. A registration desk for the seminar participants will be located on the second floor of the building. Please state your name to the staff and receive a visitor card key.
- The registration desk will be opening around 15 minutes before the seminar starts.
- If you've arrived at the building after the registration desk has closed, please call the phone number printed on the signboard at the registration desk.
- We will collect your visitor card key before you leave the meeting room. Please hand your key to the staff standing by the room exit.